CUZ I SAID SO!

Celebrity stories and gossip that make you go "W.T.F?"

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Pedicure Panic Manicure Mania

Went to get my nails done tonight and also had a pedicure. I am a regular customer and go frequently. I always have a good time there and my manicurist is more of a friend than a service provider to me. Something strange happened this afternoon that is just not sitting well with me.

Two women came into the salon. One was middle aged and one was an elderly woman. The middle aged lady was speaking to the older one in Italian. She asked the salon owner if they had an appointment opening and was told yes. The middle aged woman sat the older woman on a chair, took her shoes and socks off, mumbled something to one of the salon employees and left. As she was walking out she said in English "Be back in ten minutes!"

The elderly woman was supposed to be getting a pedicure. She was very upset and cringing when the poor nail technican tried to position her foot properly on the pedicure table. The elderly woman was visibly quite nervous. I turned to Nancy (The salon owner) and looked at her like "what the????"
Nancy told me they come in at least once a month. The elderly lady has alzeimhers. She has been a customer for the last four years and has become progressively worse. The middle aged woman apparently is her caregiver. The middle aged woman is named Marissa. She has the habit of dropping off the elderly woman and saying she'll be back in ten minutes and .....you guessed it, she comes back an hour or two later.

Meanwhile, as Nancy is telling me the story, the elderly woman is increasingly becoming agitated. She looks terrified and I hear her mumbling "Casa, casa" I tell Nancy "She wants to go home". Apparently this happens everytime. Sometimes the woman (I found out her name is Fernanda so will call her that from now on) has good days and sometimes she has bad days. Nancy explained to me that the last time Marissa brought Fernanda in she had a very bad spell. Marissa left her as she always does. The salon was very busy that day. Fernanda apparently began to sob loudly and tried to get up and leave. Nancy and her employees had to run after Fernanda and keep her back. I told Nancy this was unacceptable. If something should happen to Fernanda while she is left in Nancy's salon this would be horrible and she may be liable. Nancy agreed and told me she has expressed this concern to Marissa more than once. As I looked over to Fernanda who was mumbling to herself in Italian and looking terrified I said to Nancy "You are going to have to be very direct with Marissa and turn her away next time". I reminded Nancy that she owns a salon and is not a caregiver nor is she a babysitter.

The girl who was trying to give Fernanda a pedicure had a really hard time as she was trying to be gentle but, Fernanda kept wincing as though the technician was doing some type of chinese torture to her toes.

Marissa eventually came back carrying a slew of shopping bags including two from the L.C.B.O - I had a sneaking suspicion that the booze wasn't for the medicated Fernanda. I made sure of telling Marissa that Fernanda obviously did not want to be there and was left alone for too long. I also told her the employees could not do their jobs properly. God love them they were desperately trying to provide a service to someone who clearly did not want this service done.
What does Marissa do at this point?
She begins yelling at Fernando who I didn't think could possibly turn any whiter.
She was treating her like a toddler who's hand was caught in the cookie jar after dinner time.

Marissa looked around and realized we were all staring at her in disbelief. She picked up the shopping bags and told Fernanda it was time to go.

I watched that poor old woman go out the door four hours ago. The look on her face is still with me and will be for a long time.
Caregiver??
My ass.
I got home and told my husband. I was livid. I told him the whole story and was very upset and you know what he said?
"Your toes look so pretty though"
And they do.

CUZ I SAID SO!

9 Comments:

Blogger H.Defreitas said...

Alzeimhers is a very sad disease. Impaired memory which is followed by impaired thought and speech and finally complete helplessness. Losing the person you know and love.

If I was Nancy from the salon, I would refuse to provide her services...
...rather lose on business than force a pedicure on a lady, by a care giver, that only probably cares about the old woman's money$$ I bet!! She probably treats her well, pedicures, salons, hair...proof she took care of her. Interesting story though.

Helder

10:28 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Linda,

Can I make a suggestion? Nancy, the owner of the salon, should try to find out some information about Fernanda (where she lives, etc) and she should report this to social services. This is not proper treatment of anyone whose memory is not functioning. This is abuse.

This story makes me very sad. How can this Marissa woman treat her like this? She should be removed as Fernanda's caregiver.

Nadia

8:01 AM  
Blogger Chelsea's Mama said...

Nadia, I remember Nancy telling me that once upon a time when Fernanda was better, she used to rhyme off her address to the point of everyone knowing it also. I am going to call her and ask her what it was and you are right, I think I have some type of duty to report this. If it was me I would want it reported.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Chelsea's Mama said...

By the way, my husband only comments as he does because almost every night I have some type of story like this to tell him.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

This is called elder abuse. I worked for ten years with Alzheimer's and other demented patients. They not only lose their memory, but can not process information (ie that Nancy is providing her a service and not trying to hurt her.). I would suggested contacting the Alzheimer's Society and finding out what options are available (ie calling the police??) and reporting this elder abuse.

Unfortunately, this is just one of many many cases of elder abuse. Elder abuse like child abuse is disgusting. It picks on the vulnerable.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Ben - I agree. My grandmother, in her last few months was suffering from dementia. She no longer knew where she was (she thought she was at hom in Madeira) and there were days when she did not recognize us. But we were there every single day to make sure she was well taken care of, well fed, and clean. We knew that the staff at her home were overworked, and so we took it upon ourselves to look after her as best as we could.

I dont know if this Marissa woman is related to Fernanda or not, but if she is, that makes it even worse. What kind of person must you be to do this to someone who is vulnerable?

Just a side note - I totally believe in karma. What goes around comes around, and someday, this Marissa will be treated the same way by someone who is looking after her.

Linda - I encourage you to encourage Nancy to report this ASAP.

Nadia

6:54 PM  
Blogger H.Defreitas said...

elder abuse...

I always get blamed.

Helder

9:34 AM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Helder,

I knew this was all your fault. :)

Nadia

3:11 PM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

Helder you kill me!!!

:-)

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home